Saturday, June 03, 2006

Comfort Zones

As I was putting away some laundry yesterday I came across Frik, in the closet, sleeping on a pile of jeans on a shelf. He likes to be there – it is quiet, warm, dark and ‘unsurprising’ (i.e. Maddie can’t sneak up and pounce on him.) He was definitely in his comfort zone.

I have a bunch of ‘comfort zones’ – regarding such things as personal space, possessions, food, money in my checkbook… The list goes on and on. I am, evidently, a very ‘comfortable’ person. Or maybe I am a very ‘comfort-seeking’ person.

Maybe I’m just nuts.

When someone brushes close by me to pass on a trail or sidewalk without any warning – that’s a Big Time violation of my comfort zone. I startle easily and get that ‘pins shooting through my skin’ feeling when my personal space is violated like that. (And the inconsiderate boobs who do that usually just laugh when I am obviously having a heart attack on the sidewalk and near tears with the panic –what is WRONG with these people? You just don’t sneak up on a woman like that!)

But there are other instances too, of course. Down to only one roll of toilet paper? Yikes! That's a very uncomfortable feeling. Too hot at night for covers? Sorry – at least a sheet is absolutely necessary. Functioning email access – critical! I’d have to say that, for me, serenity means having pretzels filling my pretzel jar, having access to at least a small pile of yet-unread books, and at least one special event or plan to look forward to...

Of course, gooey casseroles, fried chicken or pot roast put me decidedly IN a comfort zone. So do my Pendelton wool blankets – to lie on the sofa under – in the winter. Having a couple of blog topics in mind, knowing there is money in our savings account, having easy access to my son through his cell phone, a pint of chocolate ice cream in the freezer, an email message from Mark… all very comforting things.

Another very comforting thing – a call from the new realtor. Things have suddenly really picked up and there is all kinds of activity on our house. Maybe????

I’m not really comfortable getting my hopes up…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter