Tuesday, August 09, 2011

An anniversary missed

My first blog posting was August 3, 2005.  I was going to post an anniversary missive on the 3rd of this year, but forgot all about it.  That's been sort of the story of my blog for several years.  Life gets in the way and I keep forgetting about it.  So it's time to update.

I've been busy with projects of course - but the house-related ones are starting to wind down.  I'm finally willing to admit that maybe home improvement isn't really going to pay off in the long run.  Mark claims that my latest landscaping project is "the project that never ends" and he may be right - certainly adjustments have had to be made and new ideas for improvements have occurred to me on occasion.  It isn't done yet.

There are other interesting projects as well.  For example, I ran across a website that featured Cat Scans - literally having your cat walk on your scanner screen while it is scanning, resulting in interesting pictures of cat feet and 'undercarriages.'  Since I happen to have a cat with mutant feet and a very large and pendulous undercarriage, it was obvious I had to try that.  With mixed results.  My cats object on principle to doing anything I want them to do.

Anyway... other projects...  Oh yes! I'm also glad to report that my win-percentage at computer solitaire has finally crept up to 17%.  At long last.

We've had a 78-minute summer here in the Seattle area - with just 78 minutes of temperatures over 80 degrees so far this year - and that has impacted our vegetable garden and rose blossoms.  Unfortunately it hasn't impacted slug activity and our dahlias are nearly gone - before they really had a chance to get started.  The temperature, coupled with snowfall in the mountains over last winter of something like 52 feet, has meant that some of our favorite summer destinations are still under snow pack and not even going to be plowed out this year.  I'm thinking that means new glaciers are starting to form!  

Honestly, we've both been in a bit of a funk lately.  That 'life gets in the way' just isn't enough.  We are wondering what there is to keep 'old' people like us going.  We need things to look forward to.  Things to plan.  Goals.  Goals that don't require financing, considering the current state of things.  We need something more than the seasons rolling by and the gradual deterioration of our health and bank accounts (the occasional Cat Scan notwithstanding.)   And I'm just not sure right now what that would be. 

Now, more than ever, I need to NOT be 'Cathy, without a plan.'

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger carl s said...

Wow! Chalk it up to all that "global warming" and "hope and change"!

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Janet said...

So where's the cat scan? I guess I'll have to try that too..maybe Choco will be more cooperative!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter