Monday, August 22, 2005

Ghost writing good stuff

It is a matter of who wants America to be what it has always been and who wants it to be something new...

One of my good friends forwards email to me now and then of the "pass it on" variety. I find it interesting that these messages float around on the internet, evidently for years, and must go through millions of Americans who think "right on!" when they read them - enough to keep them going around and around and around.

I've kept two of those essays because I fancy that they speak to Middle America in a way that no political candidate would dare any longer. The essays are plainspoken without being offensive (I think so, anyway), and cut through some of the mud and mire of the national rhetoric on minorities in America and America's foreign policy. I'm guessing that their appeal would cross most of the American demographic yet they are probably in the "I can't believe someone said that out loud" category. (Or actually, more likely they are in the "why didn't someone say that sooner?" category.)

In any case, one peculiar thing about these essays is that they are attributed to some public person who evidently had nothing to do with them. One is supposed to be an essay by Andy Rooney of "60 Minutes" fame and the other is credited to Robin Williams, the comedian and actor. But the "rumor mill" investigation website truthorfiction.com says neither one is associated with anyone famous - and certainly neither Rooney nor Williams wrote them. I suspect the attribution has something to do with the aforementioned "saying it out loud" problem!


So if they weren't written by their stated authors, we can imagine that they could have been written by anyone. My dad, for instance...


Anyway, check them out if you are interested:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/r/robinwilliamspeaceplan.htm
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/andyrooneycommentary.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter