Monday, October 03, 2005

Caution and the Golf Cart

My mother just bought a golf cart to use to scoot around between the four houses and the mailbox area that comprise the family ‘compound’ in Arizona. We all thought it would be a great idea – easier for her to bring her dog along, save wear and tear on her car, and just fun to do. It has a “Go” pedal and a “Stop” pedal, evidently, and it is, by her first report, quite “zippy.”

I related all this to my 20-something son on the phone the other day and he immediately wanted to know if it had a seat belt and if someone was going to keep the dirt roads between the houses graded so they weren’t bumpy and if there was some way to restrict the speed on it so she couldn’t go too fast. “I don’t want Grandma falling off!” he exclaimed in total exasperation that we could have been so reckless on her behalf.


As the daughter/mother in between, I found it to be a surreal moment.

5 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really funny! I think it goes about 10MPH! What we really should worry about is the other drivers on the road. Maybe we should post a speed limit! I guess there's already another one in the neighborhood, so we're ready to set up the races.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd has the wrong attitude. I'm borrowing that sucker next time I'm down for a visit! :)

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sight would be worth a trip to Arizona. Now she can compete with the dune buggies!

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody overestimated the speed then. I was told it went 25 mph. And I will be driving it when I'm there also. However I don't know that Grandma needs to be flying around on the dirt roads. I suppose 10 mph isn't bad though

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Todd, I'm glad SOMEBODY is concerned for Grandma's safety!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter