Saturday, October 22, 2005

Ladybugs

There was a ladybug flying up to my window this afternoon. That might seem like a pleasant thing to anyone with rose bushes and aphids. But I know better. She was just a forward scout for the full-scale invasion to come – if last year was any indication.

I had heard that ladybugs ‘swarm’ as they settle in for the winter, having known someone in Oregon whose house-in-the-woods was a winter home for them. But I didn’t realize I might have the same problem here. Last year I was surprised by them – but this year I just know I'm doomed.

They sneak in through the cracks in the French doors in my living room; they fly in any time I open the door; they seem to appear through the vents in the floor, if that’s possible. They like to be in the ceiling lights and on the ceiling itself, although they might be anywhere. And if you try to gently pick them up and remove them to the outside they leave a stain on your walls and a noticeable stink in the air. Who knew?

The University extension service suggests that you vacuum them up – which, I can tell you from experience, just intensifies the not-so-pleasant odor that an individual makes on it's own. I did order a whole bunch of new vacuum cleaner bags.

Last year I had to seal the doors with blue painter’s tape. Do they make it in white? It really didn’t add to my décor…

So get ready – another infestation is coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter