Thursday, April 27, 2006

Adjusting

I've always wanted to be one of those people who can step into a situation and "hit the ground running." But somehow that isn't really what happens. I am more the "deer in the headlights" sort. I'd like to think it is because I am a big picture person and very analytical - and that the combination of the two means I need more time to adjust. But I suspect that it is just that I'm an idiot. Oh well. The world needs idiots too.

I am in Arizona to help my mother, who just had surgery on her knee. But I'm not sure how much help I am being. I wish I were more of a natural.

And I am trying to cook in my mother's kitchen. Who knew that there'd be so many ways to get caught up short just trying to cook a pot roast? I don't have the pan I usually use, obviously. Her stove is electric and I cook on gas... The store didn't have the kind of potatoes I like to use. Knives are different, meat forks are kept in a different place, the salt isn't where I keep MY salt. Really. Why would any of that matter?

It shouldn't. And I'm sure dinner will be a success anyway. I'm just amazed at how disoriented I feel in someone else's kitchen.

It's been a 'disorienting' time - for a long time for me. But I'll adjust.

Or at least I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter