Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Automated answering systems

We've had quite a hassle over the last two days trying to get a prescription refilled. The pharmacy got no response when they tried to reach the doctor for authorization, so my mother had to try to reach them - with seemingly no result. The problem? One of those awful automated answering systems that never, ever, lets you reach an actual person.

This one at least would allow you to leave a message. But then no one ever called back. I've been stuck in some systems that won't even let you do that. You can never even THINK that you've actually contacted someone who could help you. I'm not sure which is worse - having the false sense that you've left a message and should get a response but don't, or having no hope at all!

I'd love to have been in one of those administrative meetings in which the business or professional office made the decision to use an automated system - and decided what the choices would be for clients calling that system. I would really be interested in how some office worker, whose job it was to be the office connection to the outside world, justified cutting that contact off by, literally, 100%. What perverse reasoning would have been offered to get someone to approve that? A business office in which 'customers' are NEVER able to talk to an actual person? How does that work?

I know how it ought to work. We should all find another service provider. But then how would we ever let the former one know that we've left them?

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

Well what I do is walk right into the office and tell them what the problem is, and I also demand to speak to the supervisor of the person whose job it is to answer those messages. And I make sure I do it when there are a lot of customers. And I'm loud.

For non-local businesses though, not much you can do. I have mailed actual letters, though more often now I just send an email. Sometimes I get a response (Starbucks sent me coupons for free coffee when I had a local problem) and sometimes I get an automated response. With so many businesses stuggling to make a profit, you'd think they'd be more attune to the needs of the customer. The other side of the coin is understaffing to cut costs. It's a viscous cycle.

Wow I just went on and on there....

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here are two suggestions. First, don't push the suggested number and the system thinks you have a rotary dial. So, a real person will pick up the call. Second, try pushing 0 ( repeatedly, if necessary). Theis too,will often get you a human!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter