Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2 Birthdays

To Carolyn and Lauren, whose birthdays are this week (I think) - Happy Birthday!

We have a big family that got even bigger with marriages and next-generation children. Somehow we started repeating ourselves. We had 2 Carl's from early on, and then along the way we picked up 2 Carolyn's, 2 C/Kathy's, and 2 Mark's. The "Carl's" were the only Senior/Junior pairing in the bunch. It gets very confusing at Christmas gift-giving time. You'd think there would have been enough names to go around so that we didn't have repeats, but you'd be wrong. And the last names are all similar enough that putting a last initial on doesn't help much either - they are pretty much mostly S's. My Mark distinguishes himself by adding 'Dr' to his name, but none of the rest of us are that distinguished. The other Mark sometimes uses 'not-Dr Mark' but I think he should have gone with Mark-the-younger vs Mark-the-older (that will serve Dr. Mark right for rubbing his PhD in, right?) Of course I wouldn't want to start that tradition with the Cathy/Kathy confusion because I'd come out on the wrong end. (And we both have Master's degrees, so that doesn't help either.)

We'll just have to assume we all know who we are talking about.

Happy Birthday!

9 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. And since I'm the only Lauren (at least so far), I can be reasonably certain that half of the "happy birthday" wish was directed to me ;-)

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to my girls!

Little correction; Kathy doesn't have a Master's degree (when she went into Occupational Therapy, a Master's was not yet required). She DOES, however have two Bachelor's degrees!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks from me too! I've decided once I get my Master's degree everyone can just call me "Master." Maybe you could borrow that for the next year or so until I'm finished. =)

Carolyn S.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Now that I think about it, the 'auxiliary' has a Laura (close to Lauren) and 2 Emily's pending membership as well...

Jill, Michael and Todd could all lay claim to the "Master" title as well, Carolyn - and maybe the other Carolyn too??? - so we will all just defer to you.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of University of Arizona degrees in any event. I think that we have enough to do the bakers dozen, buy 12 and get 1 free. Cathy, Todd, and I have 5 among us, Jill and Michael have 4 more right and 1 for Carolyn S and 1 for Carl Senior. 1 for Gail so thats 12. Brent did he go to ASU or U of A? Trick question I know a sun devil when I see one. So U of A owes us a free one. Maybe we can give the free one to one of the U of A basket cats that would be a rariety, ha ha

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take the free one, since I'll never get back for those last 25 credits! Janet

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Ryan Stouffer said...

Rob and Beth have degrees from the U of A as well. Lots of people with degrees from that school down south.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

No Masters for me and I did go to UofA but graduated from NAU. As for names it sure helps when there is a spouse attached! It is when we are all in the same room and someone says "Carolyn" and I have to look up to see which one of us someone is talking too. Fun post! :)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Yikes! I knew that Beth and Rob both graduated from UA too - don't know how we missed counting! Thanks for the help Ryan. What with all the degrees and training from other institutions and job experience, we are all quite distinguished after all. Most of it even leading to gainful employment! What a family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter