Friday, June 18, 2010

Senior Moments

I may be having a few too many 'senior moments' lately. Tonight I made meatloaf for dinner and forgot to put in the breadcrumbs. It tasted like baked hamburgers. Not good. And I've had enough other cooking disasters over the past few months - mostly forgetting an ingredient sort of thing - that Mark is beginning to wonder. Tonight he asked me if I thought senility was setting in, and if so, did he need to take away my spatula?

How embarrassing.

I tried to make oyster soup a few weeks ago with canned oysters that turned out to be canned mushrooms instead. Perhaps I should have my reading glasses on when perusing the cupboards desperately trying to come up with something to make for dinner in order to avoid the loathsome chore of grocery shopping. You'd think I've have noticed the lack of oyster smell when I opened the cans but you'd be wrong. I'd gotten pretty far into the process before I noticed that the lumps I was stirring weren't acting like oysters and curling up on the edges from the heat.

I made an apple pie some time ago that I didn't get baked long enough and the apples were still crisp and the bottom crust a little gooey. Do you know how much trouble it is to make an apple pie and then have to throw it away? That one still rankles.

And my shoo-fly pies always end up boiling over.

Maybe it IS time to hand over my spatula.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger carl s said...

OK, so you made mushroom soup instead...and there's no way I would have thrown away one of your alpple pies just because it was a little 'rare'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter