Saturday, August 27, 2005

Hand Crafted

We visited the Craft Fair at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (http://www.shakervillageky.org/) a couple of weeks ago. I love hand crafting – basket making, quilting, weaving, wood working, sewing, metal work – all of it (although I don’t stop to look at beadwork very much...) I love the skill, the care and attention… the love… that goes into each piece; but mostly I am fascinated by Creativity.

I have a friend in Florida who makes these incredible fabric bags to sell. The variety in the designs, the quality of materials and craftsmanship would take your breath away. They are simply stunning. I’m not sure I understand how she does it.


 
I used to make quilts. They were (are) beautiful but they are all copied designs. I’d find a pattern I liked and off I’d go. Believe me, there is a lot of time and care and attention that goes into making a quilt, and I can give myself credit for that. But I really wish I’d been able to design them too.

So without that spark of genius in myself, I’m afraid I’ve got quite a habit of acquiring beautiful, hand-crafted things from others. (When I die my son won’t inherit much money but he’ll sure have a lot of great stuff.) I bought a beautiful basket at the Craft Fair to put in my entryway. I also couldn’t resist a Shaker box that I sent right off to my mother. I’ve “invested” in hand-blown glass, pottery, metal work, ivory and stone carving, watercolors – you name it, I’m a sucker for it.

It is Genius I admire – and that can take many forms. Creativity is only one of them – probably the one I wish I had most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter