Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Teachers teaching teachers-to-be

After my rant about auctioneering chants a couple of days ago I started thinking again about one of my ‘pet peeves’ in Education – students, loving a subject and the way it is taught, growing up to teach that subject in the same way they learned it. It spells doom for anyone not naturally inclined!

For example, in my experience people who ‘get’ math easily – and grow up to teach it – are already attuned to it in a way that the rest of us are not. It never bothers them that the ‘language’ of math is incomprehensible to those of us who love Language.

All the “therefore it clearly follows that…” statements in math texts left me frustrated that I didn’t follow ANY of it, clearly or otherwise. (Saying it is "clear" doesn't make it so.) “Let x be…” is never a statement I’d read willingly.
Math teachers (MY math teachers at least) never understand the challenges those things pose to their non-math-inclined students. They just keep right on teaching – and eventually authoring textbooks – according to time-honored tradition. I guess they just assume that the rest of us are idiots if we don't understand.

PE teachers are even worse! Surely they became PE teachers because they loved, and did well in, PE. (Why else would anyone do such a thing?) They are zealots about sports and exercise. And they just don’t understand why they can’t promote Lifetime Fitness by making their uncoordinated, fat and out of shape students run 3 miles in the heat on the first day of school. They make kids sick instead – and there never will be a Fitness Devotee who exercises because it makes him or her feel sick.

(And it would have saved my sisters and I a lot of getting-hit-in-the-face-with-the-ball if some PE teacher had just taken the time to explain about eye-hand coordination instead of just yelling "keep your eye on the ball" at us. We honestly couldn't imagine how that would help!)

Aspiring teachers should be encouraged to teach the subject they DIDN'T do well in. That’s what I think.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

Good points. I believe aspiring teachers should have to do the thing they want to teach.

For many years part of my responsibility was training people in our organization to do the day-to-day functions of their job; what I learned was that everyone doesn't think the same way. It was a huge benefit to me to be able to come at a problem from a different direction, explaining the how-to in a totally different way depending on the aptitude and understanding of the individual I was working with at the time. I was lucky' my brain works this way. I can "see" it from many different angles.

I think part of the problem with teachers too is that they are trying to teach to a number of students rather than having the opportunity to react one-on-one. Regurgitating info may not be the best method, but when trying to provide info to a group your options are limited. Could teachers benefit from more one-on-one experience before they enter a classroom? Would this help solve the problem? I don't know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter