Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Playing Piano With Frik

Having caught a PBS program on composer/lyricist team Rogers and Hammerstein the other day, I’ve been playing some of their music on my piano lately. And Frik has joined in. Howling. (Doesn't he look more than a little crazed?)

Is he trying to make it known that he doesn’t like show tunes? Or is it simply the whole Piano Playing business? I wouldn’t like to think it is because I’m such a bad pianist... although there is some evidence that I should give consideration to this theory. No, my faults are more along the line of bad fingering and lack of technical competence, than of blatantly giving offense. Is Frik enough of a connoisseur that the occasional missed note would set him howling? I think not.

I really WANT to believe that he just can’t stand the fact that my fingers are occupied with some other activity besides scratching his ears. That’s because I DON’T want to believe that he is singing along.

At any rate, Playing Piano With Frik has been a less-than-satisfying experience. Quite possibly for both of us. But he is my constant companion at home and I can't really play the piano, or do anything else for that matter, without him.

Life is full of mixed blessings. And everyone's a critic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter