Sunday, August 07, 2005

Saving turtles and contemplating decisions

Yesterday we saved a turtle. Or at least we hope so. He was obviously contemplating crossing the road, and certainly would have been at risk if he had tried. So maybe "saved" is a little too strong a term, but we'd like to think that's what we did. Last weekend we saw another turtle starting to cross a busy road and were in no position to stop, but as we swerved by him we saw him lift his front foot up to his head, as if to ward off the danger he obviously sensed. That little all-too-human gesture has haunted us all week, since we don't know if he made it. There were cars behind us as well, and his defensive maneuver was inadequate at best in the face of that much traffic. So we were glad to stop, this time, to save this new turtle in danger.

Just a few weeks ago we saved another turtle who was somehow, and improbably, on top of a stone wall at a highway overview, baking in the sun. We couldn't imagine that he'd gotten there intentionally, but could only too easily imagine what might happen to him when he tried to get down. So we set him down in the grass behind the wall, hoping he'd go safely on his way.

What's with all this turtle saving?

Many are those who have made ill-fated decisions regarding road-crossings, and worse. I've made my own share of bad choices, and more often than I'd like to admit I've just managed to 'get across the road' without getting hit. There haven't been "turtle-savers" around at those times. I pretty much know that consequences are mine to face. Nevertheless, I have reason to believe, based on past experience, that when I venture out in the world, things will be OK. Why? Because I don't expect that someone will, or should, save me. It is really up to me to make the best choices and then run the course as best I can to make sure they turn out to be successes.

Much like those turtles crossing the roads. They aren't counting on someone to come along and swoop them out of harm's way. They start out, fully expecting to get where they are going, under their own steam, in their own time. That their journey took an unexpected leap doesn't change their intentions or goals or efforts at all. When we set them back down, they continue on their way. They simply benefited from some unlikely but happy chance (even if they probably don't realize it!)

I'd sure like to win the lottery some day. Maybe saving turtles is my way of keeping that fantasy fresh.

Mark would, of course, tell me that I have to actually buy a ticket.

In the meantime, I'll keep making decisions and crossing roads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter