Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Walking in the Rain

It rained all day yesterday and we finally decided last night to brave it and walk to the mailbox (about 2 miles, maybe) anyway. On the way back we were waiting at an intersection for the ‘walk’ light, standing under a bright streetlight, holding up our golf umbrellas, shining our flashlight forward, and when the light changed we started across the street. Unfortunately the lady in the big Lexus SUV who was turning left across our crosswalk decided to go as well. Mark was ahead of me and she went right for him! I screamed, he yelled, she kept coming. He pointed his light at her, she kept coming but slightly altered her course, causing the people in the car waiting behind the crosswalk for the light in the other direction to duck their heads down. I kept yelling, she kept coming, Mark jumped out of the way and she headed for me. By the time she reached me she had at least slowed down – and I started pummeling the roof of her car with my umbrella.

I’m not sure what made me do that – “Don’t threaten me and mine” I guess – but she sure was surprised. So was Mark. He laughed at me all the way home.

Did she just not see us – lights and umbrellas and all? Was she just in a hurry anyway? She surely saw us at some point before she almost ran us down but she didn’t really seem inclined to stop anyway. But mostly, what did she think of a nearly-little-old-lady beating her up with an umbrella? We’ll never know. She didn’t stop.

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of these people who drive Japanese luxury cars (is that an oxymoron or what?) think they are SO important that they can just run down anybody who gets in their way. My theory is that they figure if you are on foot, you obviously don't even own a car and are probably homeless to boot, so you (as a second class citizen) are fair game and they would be doing society a favor by eliminating you!!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

That's exactly Mark's theory too!

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen women here in Scottsdale with lips so swollen from Botox that they couldn't possibly see past them. Perhaps she was suffering from the same problem.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Wow! I wonder how that would hold up in court? "My botoxed and collaginated lips got in the way and I couldn't see, so I went anyway?" It could work...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter