Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve always seems like a non-holiday to me. I'm just not a party girl. I don't like crowds and I don't get drunk and I am uncomfortable making small talk with people I don't know - so a New Year's Eve Party is just not for me. Besides, I'd never have something to wear.

I used to go to my sister's, with the rest of the family, for pizza and pinball tournaments - one year we even got Grandma K to participate, eyes shining and that wonderful smile lighting up the place. But that hasn't often been an option for me - Greg and Janet make great pizza but it's just too far away!

Waiting up for the new year countdown is always a 'letdown' instead. Once the toast has been proposed and the kiss exchanged, we are worn down sufficiently by the day that we are fast asleep in bed by quarter after the hour. (Sometimes less, depending on whether we are in a place with two sinks so we can both brush our teeth at the same time - just to give you an idea of the parameters here...) (Huh - OLD people, you say.)

And then there is the contemplation of challenges to come, like how many months will I write " '05" on my checks? (Two years ago I was so confused I reverted back to writing '86, but that's another story.)

Nope, just not my holiday.

But if it's yours - Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you guys even stay UP 'till midnight. We don't. We just welcome the new year the next morning (well rested)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter