Saturday, February 25, 2006

Head Colds, and State of Mind

I thought I was getting over my cold finally. But either I’m having a relapse, or I am getting another one. And I know why. We are living with too much uncertainty. Health is a state of mind first and foremost – else why would all those people think all those scientifically ineffective ‘supplements’ and herbal cures work?

My dad used to attribute his good health and well-being to his positive attitude – or sometimes to drinking milk, of course. Whatever. When I’d point out that other ‘seniors’ just as readily credited such things as a daily glass of whiskey (scandalous, in his world, of course) or the cigar they smoked every night on the porch, or their regular bowel movements, or cheese, he’d just respond with the twinkle in his eyes and a quick grin. I guess it doesn’t matter what you believe, as long as you believe it.

A positive attitude would be good, in any case. We currently have a deadline of March 9 to be out of this fully furnished apartment, with its rented towels and forks and TV and phone and lamps and EVERYTHING – and are still trying to get an answer about whether they will extend our stay here. This is a short month. We may need to find another place pretty quick. Such uncertainty. And if we do have to find another place, we have none of our household goods with us – everything is still in our house in Kentucky. (My mother pointed out that this would mean it wouldn’t take us very long to actually move out. See – positive attitude???) So I’ve been going through this mental exercise about how little we could get away with buying (everything would be unnecessary, once we actually move our stuff here) and how short a term we might be able to get on a lease, and what sort of place we could get with only a short term lease, and just how long will it be before Kentuckians come out of their complacent winter funk and start looking to buy a house… OUR house.

And now I think my cold is back. My state of mind is not healthy. And neither am I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter