Monday, July 24, 2006

Coming out of a funk

I got one of those ‘pass it on’ messages from a friend today that made me laugh – a bunch of quotes about aging mostly – and I thought I’d pass a few of them along here:

  • Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
  • Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what the hell happened.
  • If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
  • Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

So with the reminder that life is mostly an opportunity to laugh at oneself, I will try to put some attention back to my blog. An update: We have come to realize that our beautiful Kentucky house is going to be on the market for a long time, and have made financing arrangements to buy a house here without that sale as a contingency. (Thanks to my wonderful mother – one of the best ‘thinkers’ and ‘problem solvers’ I’ve ever known – for inciting that chain of events!) We’ve started looking at houses in the area with a creative and flexible eye, still determined to be able to do more with our lives than make house payments, even in this frighteningly high housing market. And we think we can find something not too far away from Mark’s workplace that meets our very basic criteria. We are looking forward to remodeling, painting, patching, roto-tilling and just generally making the proverbial ‘purse out of a sow’s ear.’

As you may have noticed, Seattle is having a hot spell again – a VERY hot spell – and even the long-time locals are starting to admit that maybe their position on A/C (in a nutshell, that they don’t need it because it is only hot a few times during the year) is more a result of a shared psychosis, possibly initiated by a Chamber of Commerce myth, rather than a sound opinion. Mark finally agreed to the purchase of a thermometer to prove or disprove our individual theories about just how hot it IS, in this awful apartment. (Reality turns out to be a bit better for me and worse for him, but that’s often the case…) Since it is, actually, THAT hot, we haven’t spent much time at home lately, which is probably best, except for Frik and Maddie, of course.

And so it goes… Sorry for the long gap in postings. Hope some of you are still with me anyway! (It would be very nice if you'd post a comment to let me know!)

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo happy that you are back!! I was beginning to worry. Best wishes on the house hunt. I really missed your humor and the family tidbits.
Love,
Judy

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you had logged on, you would have noticed we all had logged on to look for you!! Anyway, I'm really glad to see you have something to say again, and it was even funny! Hang in there, I'm sure you'll find the right house, and I hope it will need a lot of work so that you'll be swamped! Love, me

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, still here! Still checking in whenever I get a chance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter