Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Details, details

Mark is meeting the realtor and the house inspector this morning at the new house to go through the inspection and make sure the house will still be standing in one piece when we take possession. This is the time in the home buying process when you are thinking of all the questions you should have been looking for answers to BEFORE you signed on the dotted line.

Most significantly, of course, is "Yikes! How are we going to pay for all this?"

But there are also all the little 'sub-plots.' Uh... where are we going to put the piano? The safe? All the boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations?

Do we actually get cell phone reception out there? Are there window coverings in all the rooms? Does the garage door have an electric opener? Are there cabinets above the refrigerator? Where was the mailbox?

(When we bought the Kentucky house it wasn't until we were unpacking the extra sheets and towels that we actually realized that there was no linen closet in the house. )

But first things first. The most pressing issue on Mark's mind this morning is more likely to be "Do I know how to get there?" We get lost easily, as anyone who has ever visited us can attest. (My sister came to see us shortly after I moved from Alaska to Portland years ago and I got lost trying to get her home from the airport. We made it eventually, but it wasn't pretty.) Hopefully we can actually FIND the place again - and if so, all the other issues will be answered as well.

Even as I ponder all the questions though, I know that the noise and inconvenience and hassle of apartment living will soon be behind us - and that is a big relief. Huge. And out-trumps anything this house can throw at us.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good point - asking those questions before signing. I hadn't thought of any of those things. I have added them to my list for when I buy a house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter