Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hooray?

We got an offer on our KY house yesterday. Not a great one. In fact, a lousy one in every aspect of the concept ‘offer,’ but an offer nevertheless. And we accepted it, and I’d guess there is a 50/50 chance that it will actually go through, sometime in the next few months. Hooray?

Somehow, after all the disappointment and anxiety and frustration for the past 9 months of NOT selling this house, yesterday was probably the worst day we’ve had emotionally. It was actually worse than all that ‘nothing’ that was going on before. I think that’s because now, for sure, we’ve got our worst-case scenario on the sale. Hope isn’t an ‘out’ anymore. Wishing didn’t get it done. The gamble didn’t really pay off. In spite of our best efforts, we didn’t get the outcome we wanted. Oh woe is me… sort of thing. (My father would have added something along the lines of going down in the cellar to eat some worms but, well… that was HIS thing.)

It is interesting to me that it played out this way with my emotions, for surely the ‘worst-case scenario’ is really that it didn’t sell for another year or so. But we’d gotten over that. We’d already found a way to make that work and come out the other end, so to speak, of that dilemma. It was awful, and having been done with that finally – all that wallowing around in despair that I can be so guilty of in tough times where I don’t have any control or choices or action to take – I wasn’t ready for this next, final blow.

But I think I’ve got it back together now. This will surely be better in the long run. Uncertainty being what it is, a ‘bird in the hand…’

I know what it is all about at least. I just can’t stand to go backwards; to ‘lose ground’ as it were. It’s hard enough for me to accept the ‘2 steps forward, 1 step back’ sort of progress that life can throw at you, but very bad when it becomes ‘2 steps forward, 3 steps back’ and no progress at all.

(A well-documented psychological phenomenon: Successful people tend to credit their success with hard work and planning. Unsuccessful people tend to blame their lack of success on ‘bad luck’ and things generally outside of their control, like the general meanness or stinginess or prejudice of others.)

So – more lessons learned; more progress made; better things to come. Hooray!

1 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think your house sale was a matter of "bad luck" or even "bad planning" but rather a simple matter of bad timing. Oh well, at least you can move on now with a bit more confidence>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter