Thursday, September 28, 2006

Painting and more painting

Where will it end? When will it end?

We're still painting. The baseboards and doors and trim all need several coats and the walls need at least two. Furniture has to be moved, rugs and walls taped off, outlet covers and window coverings need to be removed. I don't think I had any idea how big a job this would be.

So now I'm wondering, have I ever actually painted a house before? And I think the answer is a clear 'no.' That seems extraordinary, considering that I've lived in quite a few of them over the years, although not, evidently, long enough to need to repaint any of them. At this point, that seems like it was a good plan and I'm wondering why I didn't stick to it.

So just to update our progress: The dining room / living room is done - paint, light fixture, and furniture arrangement included - although the window coverings that we ordered aren't here yet. (And two of the area rugs are still rolled up against one wall in the dining room - waiting the day when wood floors are installed in the family room/breakfast nook... so, no, I guess that can't be declared 'done' either, huh?) The kitchen is done except for the cabinet and drawer pulls, which we have, but haven't put on yet. The family room has been painted, a new light fixture installed, and display shelves and pictures hung, but that's all that can be said for that room. It still has seemingly dozens of big holes in the ceiling left behind by what must have been the world record macrame-hanging display. And the furniture we ordered this week won't be in for 6 more weeks. The jury is still out on whether we will break down and replace the cheap flooring with hardwood, but if I had my guess, I think the hardwood will win out over the budget.

And the master bedroom is about 3/4 painted. I am SO anxious to get that done so I can clean up the mess.

It is, of course, the mess that is really bugging me, not all the actual painting itself. I'm trying to tell myself that this 'journey' is worth enjoying like all the rest of them, but I still find myself pretty focused on the end.

Onward!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter