Monday, June 25, 2007

Who is the villain?

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of the next Harry Potter book. So eager, in fact, that I re-read the last one this week. Now I’m all set.

But I still don’t think Snape is the bad guy. I don’t think Dumbledore (in spite of his name) was that dumb. I think that he was ‘transfigured’ as Snape in the beginning of the book to have the conversation with Malfoy’s mother and that the ‘bond’ was what caused his hand to wither, which would mean that Snape himself was under no unbreakable bond to her. (Coming up for air… and here we go again:) I’m not sure how Marvolo’s ring played into that but I think that Dumbledore knew that he might return to the castle too ‘broken’ to be saved and that Snape was ‘pre-arranged’ to finish him off in that event, rather than blow his cover and that Harry has been wrong about him all along – as has been proven in every book so far.


There.

Basically, I think that in a discussion about Good vs. Evil, there is a need for the concept that good and evil aren’t always transparently evident.

And that Good can win.

Mark thinks I’m wrong.

So there is room for speculation that Harry is finally right about Snape – as a way of having him (Harry) supplant Dumbledore as the greatest wizard. Maybe the comments from Dumbledore about how he isn’t always right about things are true. Maybe this is just resolving some old questions once and for all as the series winds down. Maybe this book was the revelation of the true Snape after all.

This is deep stuff. Big questions. Pressing issues. Terrible mysteries. (Or, not.)

Well, I always hated literary analysis – but give me a good problem to solve and I’m right on it.

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Brent and Carolyn said...

Ohhhh! Brandon and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the last book! I like your theory about Dumbledore and his arm. I think I'll have to read book 6 again - even though Brandon and I finished it in May - with your theory in mind... of to find the book!

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read (in fact everyone should) Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Carl - Not sure what 'State of Fear' has to with Harry Potter, but you are right - everyone should read it. It is not only an interesting expose' about Global Warming, but also enlightening about how things really work in the real world. Thanks for mentioning it!

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue about Harry Potter, having never read a Harry Potter book. I was just making a random comment about reading books! Perhaps I should take up Harry Potter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter