Wednesday, January 09, 2008

War Vets, II

Major disappointment in genealogical meanderings here…

I was looking for Civil War service records in the PA state archives and found that, generally, they are more informative and complete for the Civil War vets than for the Revolutionary War vets. Except, of course for the ones I'm looking for. Here's what I found for John Dissinger:


Not particularly informative, huh? Maybe someone else in the family (probably) knows more, but all I can get is that he entered as a private, was a first lieutenant when he came out and was in the 142nd Regiment of the Pennsylvania Infantry, K Company (which might have been organized at Harrisburg, September 1, 1862, but might not have...)

I found a few 'cards' for William Kurr too - hoping them to be our friend with the fake beard - but the 'muster in' and 'age of enrollment' dates just didn't match up to his age at the time.

I could have made a good story about some of that detail if I could have found it. With this one, for example:

But as it is, I think I'm done with history. (This history, anyway.) I'm not very good at it. I like pictures better, and I have a few more to share... another time.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger JB said...

Hope you've had better luck over the past three years! John Dissinger's sister Rosannah (m. Henry Stick) seems to have been my great-great-great-great-grandmother.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Kathy said...

I am Cathy's sister-in-law...I have John W. Dissinger's full obituary which lists Mrs. Henry Stick as his sister. The obituary lists his full Civil War record as well, very interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter