Friday, August 21, 2009

The Dying Art of Blogging

I was interested in Mark's comment about how so many people have given up blogging in favor of making inane comments with no real point but a lot of angst on Twitter or My Space. So I looked up the article in 'Wired' to see why. It seems that the 'takeover' of blogging by professionals has drowned out the voice of the lone thinker/writer and that the possibility of that lone opinion being noticed in the world has all but died out. 'So why bother,' was the jist.

I guess I don't care. I've always tried to stay 'under the radar,' not over it, and didn't really want to be noticed by strangers in the first place. I never used links or tried to title my postings so that Google would pick them up in a search for a specific topic - in fact I tried very hard NOT to get picked up by Google.

('Wired' did note that you can get noticed by hecklers though. Great. Just what I want - someone insulting me besides.)

I understand that Twitter and Face Book allow writers to forgo the formalities of sentence construction, punctuation, alliteration, agreement, description, spelling even... basically anything resembling actual content... in favor of pithy postings like "OMG, yr really HOT" but I have trouble seeing that as an advantage.

I don't think I'm going to make the switch.

(Sorry Mark, no banjo discussion comes to mind yet...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter