Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dressing the Mother in the Wedding Party

I don't know why I got off on this tangent so soon, but my son is getting married in about a year, and I'm already wondering about appropriate attire for the mother of the groom. Being of a certain age and weight and worrying about upper arms and ankles and comfortable shoes and bulges, I suspect this is going to provide fodder for some stress for many months to come. Might as well get started with the angst.

So I did a quick internet search. And soon discovered that, evidently, no one actually expects the mother of the groom to be involved in any way. There are Mother of the Bride dresses - but no Mother of the Groom dresses. So right away I have to sidle into their camp and hope no one notices and yells 'fraud.' Good grief.

The second thing I notice, once perusing the pages of designer gowns being modeled, is that the 'mother of the bride' is, seemingly, expected to be scantily clad in lingerie-type chiffon-y gowns, somewhat see-through and with deep v-necklines and strapless bodices, form-fitting silhouettes showing as much skin as possible, and posing in provocative stances in doorways. Mother of the Bride as skanky whore? Whose dream wedding does THAT vision fit into?

Hmmmmm. I wonder how their sales are going?

Even assuming the 'mothers' were in the top physical shape of the 18-year old models now wearing these 'creations,' upstaging the bride in such attire is surely a gaffe. I was sort of hoping for jackets with 3/4 length sleeves and modest necklines and sturdy fabrics. Something with which I could wear sensible shoes, perhaps. Dressy, yes, But nothing particularly showy. Nothing risque. Nothing, quite honestly, that is particularly memorable, the mother-of-the-groom clearly not where the focus should be.

I'm going to need some help. Being 'daughter-less' and having my two super-shopper sisters 1000 miles away, this could be bad. (At least my dear young co-worker assures me that she stands ready to pinch-hit should poor Mark not be up to the task.) I'm not even sure where to look.

But I'm already pretty sure that the internet isn't the place.

5 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Judy said...

Perhaps I can lift your spirits. I too have shopped for THE dress. Be grateful that you are not looking for the "grandmother of the bride". That title will be mine on Saturday. What a reality check!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Yikes, Judy! How do these things happen? (I know... I know.) I hope it is a wonderful wedding and that you all have fun.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why did no one tell MY mother-in-law that the mother of the groom isn't supposed to do anything?

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Dr Mark said...

Carolyn,
didn't your mother-in law have strict instructions to NOT get falling down drunk at your wedding and yet managed to find 20 mini bottles of hotch someplace? I have the best-est mother in law of all and I should know having had 2 previous ones

I have decided to wear a suit and NOT a dress, however nice a one I might find.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that too good and too much interesting. I really like it. And I enjoyed a lot when I read that article. Now I got the idea for my mom dress. So thanks for sharing with me. So please keep posting me such a nice article. For the more information visit on www(dot)theweddingdirectory(dot)co(dot)uk.
Mother of The Bride Outfits

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter