Thursday, August 11, 2005

Doing lunch

I had an invitation to go out to lunch today - something that hasn't happened in a long time and another indicator of my "recluse" status here. I looked forward to it all week and enjoyed it, all the parts... seeing familiar faces, people I know waving at me when I walk in the door, the tuna sandwich, trying to follow multiple conversations, the little bits of news and catching up, the occasional surprise comment, laughter, sympathy, funny little confessions - all very nice.

I've "done lunch" in a lot of memorable ways and with a lot of wonderful people over the years. It's a nice institution, lunch. Not in the "I'll have my people call your people" way that pop culture would have it, but in the very civilized world of friendships and contacts. Lunch is nice.

(The funny "take-away" from today? Evidently Kansas is to Kentuckians as Kentucky is to Northern Californians - oh those poor backward people. I don't think I want to live in Kansas!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter