Friday, September 09, 2005

Being a skeptic

I have to send an apology out to the cosmos (or something) for thinking negatively last week about the world’s reaction to our natural disaster. Yes, the Muslim radicals did declare that Katrina was God’s wrath on the infidels – though I’m still not clear why the tsunami wasn’t God's wrath on someone else – but we’ve come to expect that; they never disappoint. No, I was thinking that there was a decided lack of statements issued, aid offered, prayers made and sympathy expressed from all the factions that normally weigh in on a country’s misfortune. Maybe it was just that I missed it all in the flurry of news. Last week it looked like no one else cared; like we were on our own to deal with the mess. But now it seems that I was just being a skeptic.

That other countries are actually sending money and doctors, donating oil, and expressing their concerns and best wishes is very heartwarming to me. The music industry has finally gotten on the ‘bandwagon’ with a benefit concert. I don’t know that Hollywood has weighed in yet, although, since they are such absolute authorities on everything I'm sure they'll be sharing their wisdom and political condemnation soon. I don’t remember yet seeing a statement from the Pope, though maybe I just missed that. But Mexico (Mexico!) is sending a convoy of kitchen trucks and medical workers (although the picture of Mexican troops driving into Texas is disturbing, as, frankly, is the dominating presence of our own military taking over a US city – but that’s another thing.) Middle East countries are donating oil, and even tiny, poor countries are sending nominal amounts of money. While Chinese newspapers condemned us (“the looters showed the dark side of American life,”) the Chinese government has, nevertheless, expressed its sympathy to Katrina’s victims, sending the U.S. a $5 million donation plus tents, bedding and electricity generators.

Amazing.

But I reserve some of my sarcasm. The political fight got nasty quickly – just as I’ve come to expect. Jesse Jackson finally showed up to get some press coverage for himself. Nanci Pelosi got nasty and Hilary called for a 'commission.' Geraldo Rivera was in the thick of it, surpassing even his own usual audacity by claiming that he was pleased to see some of the men “I served with in the Gulf” as he met various National Guard groups. So I can still be a little bit of a skeptic, right? We’d be worried if there wasn’t some of that.

5 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger M.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger M.J. said...

There are many amazing stories coming out of the Katrina tragedy; the human spirit and ability to give never ceases to amaze me.

That said, what makes me mad is that we should all be working together. Politics should be put aside. You had some great examples (though I will say, what else do you expect from Pilosi? She's the worst thing to happen in years to the Democratic Pary) Here's one that brings into sharp relief the real focus of our federal government. I am appalled and saddened (but not surprised) by the politics involved here, when politics should be on the back burner. They should be embracing this as an opportunity for those with differences to come together, as well as a fostering of good-will. Instead...well, read it for yourself and decide.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I saw several similar stories in the news today - with aid and volunteers literally waiting on the tarmac of some foreign airport waiting for word that we'll accept them. One story was about electrical generators waiting to be sent - and then another story about someone who has been requesting generators and the US government is "trying to track them down." Huh?

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Janet told me about your blog. I am really enjoying it. Such talent ! Your Daddy would be very proud. Love, cousin Judy

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Hi Judy - I'm glad to know you are here! Thanks!! Please feel free to add your two cents at any time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter