Saturday, November 19, 2005

Using up without filling up

Emptying the freezer or pantry in preparation for a move across country isn't as easy as it would seem to be. You always have odds and ends of unmatched things, none of which will easily feed 2 reasonable adult diets. But all that stuff is still THERE, making you think you have to use it up... For example:

I have lots of cheese but no bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. I have miscellaneous canned things - but can't think of a recipe that would take diced green chilis, chicken noodle soup, raspberry jam and water chesnuts; although I do have a box of stale Wheat Thins that might round things out. There's lots of leftover spaghetti sauce in the freezer - along with the applesauce that I labored over so lovingly at the end of the summer - but Mark is tired of spaghetti (and applesauce, for that matter.) And there's lima beans. For some reason I am overstocked with frozen lima beans, possibly as a result of trying to have something to pack around ice cream to keep it frozen on the trip home from the store over these past long months of hot weather. Condiments are in great abundance as well - but again, what meal will result from mustard, ketchup, salad dressing, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, wasabi and something in a bottle that the label has come off of. Even the fact that I have lots of rice doesn't make any of THAT appeal. Mark at least likes plain rice - but I don't.

Interestingly, I have all the ingredients for at least 6 more batches of chocolate chip cookies. Of course that should surprise no one.

Frik and Maddie are even down to just one flavor of cat food. They don't seem to mind though.

I think I'm going to have to 'restock' after all - especially since Todd will be here next week. But I'll be more careful this time - and try to get something to go with the water chesnuts at least.

Did I mention all the applesauce? That will have to get foisted off on the neighbors I guess. Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it has been a while since there was a blog entry. I am particularly concerned about the applesauce as Todd can only eat so much of it while he is here. I am betting he will want to watch the University of AZ basketbalol and I using parental guidance and the remote blocked that channel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter