Monday, December 26, 2005

Spices

According the McCormick spice company's web site, ground spices are good for 2-3 years and then should be replaced. Since I didn't bring any 'spices' with me from my kitchen at home, I am replacing things now and wondering just how old some of my other stuff is. Hmmmmm...

I once had a large bottle of peppercorns that I bought when I lived in Arizona in the 70s and still had when I moved from Alaska in '96. About twice a year I would cook up a batch of navy bean soup and, since the recipe called for 3 peppercorns, that was the rate I was using up the bottle. My father was referring to them as 'ancient Indian peppercorns' by then and shamed me into getting rid of them. Relics. Too bad Vanilla Extract, at its current price, doesn't last that long!


Anyway, these are the thoughts I am using to keep others at bay. Because, unfortunately, I spent the day fighting with my cell phone company trying to buy a new phone - I am even eligible to buy a new phone - when they couldn't seem to make that happen. Policy roadblocks that no one seems interested in 'problem solving' around, database mistakes, call transfers and general 'passing the buck' moves were the "spices" of my day today. And I got in a stew, that's for sure.

Finally, one person had all the right 'customer service' ideas and another actually managed to make the sale. It took 3 visits to 2 different stores and no fewer than 3 hours on the phone in a half dozen different calls (OK, I might be exaggerating there but, really!) I actually had to cry on the phone to make it happen. (Shameless, I am.)

But it ruined our day. And I probably didn't even manage to ruin theirs in the process. Not really the sort of spice I want in my life.

I have such good intentions, great resolve, solid focus... and then there it goes.

It is always the little things that push me over the edge. The big stuff I can handle, but give me little frustrations on top and I am lost.

I need to learn how to deal with 'spices.'

2 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt the claim that spices "expire". I think that is just a marketing ploy. If you notice any differences in the potency of your new spices, let me know and I'll re-think my position.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even make a comment on this because it contains the phone issue. Anything I say would be an explitive-laced tirade (sp?) that would be inappropriate for the diverse readers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter