Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Haircut hassles, and other ‘moving’ inconveniences

I was SO congratulating myself in Kentucky for finally finding someone who could do a great haircut – and now I am searching again. We need a new doctor, a dentist, an eye care provider, a pharmacist and a veterinarian. We need someplace for oil changes and a grocery store that has the right brands and varieties we are used to. This moving business is complicated.

So I found a beauty salon at random in the phone book – listed at a place I actually thought I could find – and called to ask if they might have someone who could do a good job cutting thin, fine, straight hair. A very ‘Chinese’ lady assured me “don’t worry – we fix you up good.” Not that this comment was immediately inspiring, but, in fact, she seems to have done so. Well, actually the jury’s still out on that, but I’ve tucked her business card away for the next time and will hope the result is worth it.

Finding a doctor has a different set of criteria, of course. I simply want an MD who can speak English sufficiently to understand and communicate medical information. You wouldn’t think that would be so hard a bill to fill, would you? Wrong.

I can’t wait to start looking for a vet.

We got a referral to a dentist in California when we first moved there and we loved them – the whole office staff, the dentist and hygienist… and they even had Architectural Digest in the waiting room. What more could you want? But somehow, after my first visit there, I still had the latest issue of their ‘waiting room’ magazine in my hands when I left their building, not realizing I had it. (I usually bring my own reading material – never wanting to be without, of course.) When I got home and saw that I had it, I called them right back to apologize and let them know I’d bring it back in the morning. I told the receptionist I was so embarrassed. “You were so nice to me and then I stole your magazine!” She laughed and asked which magazine it was and when I told her she said it was OK – as long as I hadn’t walked off with Soap Opera Digest they’d forgive and forget. I had a great time with them every time I had an appointment after that.

More adventures await, I guess.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't just go to "Ramon's".

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

I moved to NM in Oct of 2004...and have had 4 very bad haircuts since. With this last one I think I'm just going to grow it out long until I move again. I feel your pain dear, I feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter