Friday, March 10, 2006

Weather, again

We had made plans to go to Portland tomorrow to visit with some friends and eat at our favorite barbecue place – and just for something different to do. We thought we’d drive through the Columbia River Gorge and get some pictures of Multnomah Falls… Sigh.

But the weather report wasn’t so encouraging. We’d been watching the weather news and it looked like it was nasty in Portland this week, and it might get worse. Snow is now predicted. So we cancelled out. And now, of course, the sky is clear and the sun is shining here, and I’m wondering, once again, how I could be duped into listening to a weather forecast and allowing it to influence my activities.

I’m noticing a trend here. How many times have I made disparaging remarks about weather predictions? And don’t I also throw up my hands in dismay at nutrition warnings that are issued and retracted and contradictory?

I have to wonder. Do I believe in science? In the benefit of education? In the advancement of knowledge? Do I believe current scientific theories are solid, that our predictive models have been sufficiently validated, that modern measurement equipment is sophisticated and well-calibrated, and that scientific investigation is undertaken seriously and purposefully?

If I base my behavior on their predictions, a mixed bag at best, then maybe I do! I should think about that!!

And now that I don’t have plans for the weekend, I’ll have the time…

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Carolyn will tell you about the trip she and Rob took to Phoenix (140-some days without rain) on Saturday. It has a weather related twist to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter