Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Surgeries and Worries

My mother is having surgery – knee-replacement surgery – today and I am here, she (with all my siblings) is there and I am worried. And out-of-sorts. I know that my being there wouldn’t make any difference and that I will go next week when I will be needed to help her at home. Somehow that doesn’t help today though.

I guess I am just a worrier. Somehow, to me, that is the thing that needs to be done in these situations. Worry. And so I do it – on a grand scale. Never have I actually been able to articulate to myself how, exactly, that is supposed to help. Since I also believe that we do things – anything – pretty much in order to advance ourselves and our own little plans and purposes along some self-determined continuum, it would seem that I could arrive at a ‘purpose’ or even just a ‘rationale’ for worry. But it seems to happen as an underlying process, independent of planning- and accomplishing-sorts-of-things.

So, having said that, I am going to try to leave it. There must be a better way to spend my day.

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounded pretty good when I talked to her. :) Grandma is tough.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about. She's doing much better, at this point, than she did after the first knee surgery. I'm glad you'll be around to help next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter