Thursday, December 07, 2006

A no-work day

I have a part time, 'occasional' job. They call once or twice a week to say there isn’t anything for me to do so I might as well just take the day off. So I do. The trick is to do something wonderful with such a ‘found’ day.

I often dive into a book and just read all day. Or get out the paint can and start on another room in the house. Or go out and rake leaves if there is sunshine, or bake something if there is rain, or print up pictures for my albums, write… or go shopping.

On Tuesday, after they called, I decided to go Christmas shopping. I got ready to go, picked up my list, got a Diet Coke out of the refrigerator for sustenance along the way, found my keys, put on my coat, locked the door behind me and set off on the 12 miles into town. I got to the store, found a parking place, pulled on the emergency brake, turned off the car, opened the door and reached for my purse… which I had left on the chair at home.

Today they called again.

Maybe I’ll just rake leaves. Although there is the potential of locking myself out of the house again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter