Thursday, May 21, 2009

Freezer Mysteries

Perhaps a little more precision is called for. A System. Better packaging. Surely a better memory and, yes, more intentional cataloguing would help. Placement could be a factor as well in preventing this situation from happening again.

(Is it a 'situation?')

I served dinner last night, as I usually do - just for Mark and I. (Although perish the thought that this might have been part of the dinner I served to a friend last week!)

I made a roast pork. (We love pork, swine flu notwithstanding.) And since Mark is one of those who believes that applesauce should go with pork, I dipped into the frozen applesauce 'stores' to thaw some of our homemade supply from last year. Most of what is left is stored on the top shelf of my freezer in little round 2-cup plastic freezer containers. When we made the applesauce we bought a whole bunch of these to hold a double serving just right for dinner-for-two. Unfortunately we didn't quite get enough of them and had to look for other containers to hold the excess, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I pulled out the 'odd' container - square instead of bowl-shaped - to put it into the microwave to thaw it out a little bit. Good color it had - applesauce freezes well. You don't get much 'apple' smell in frozen applesauce though. Has to thaw first. So, as I said, I put it in the microwave. By the time the microwave was dinging 'done' at me I was on to mashing potatoes etc. and didn't pay too much attention.

But I should have. It wasn't applesauce.

It was gravy. Not good by the spoonful. Take my word for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter