Saturday, September 10, 2005

Is Fall finally falling?


It is getting just a little cooler here during the day, and the evenings are almost tolerable. Some mornings this week have felt like the promise, at least, of fall weather. I'm excited.

I used to consider summer to be my favorite season - probably a hold-over from those long and lazy school breaks spent reading P.G. Wodehouse or something. But then there's spring... During the years we spent in Oregon and Northern California I got about as excited as anyone could over the bulbs coming up and the wild irises blooming on the trails. I also have to admit to overindulging in the Christmas season, decorating the house (I have an enormous collection of Santas somehow...) and baking cookies by the hundreds. And I've even been known to enjoy 'sweepstakes' season in January. Winter is the time to snuggle in with a good book and eat popcorn - what a pleasant time of year.

So with all the delights of the other seasons, that I should have settled on Fall as my favorite seems odd. There is something about how the air smells. There is the anticipation of the color changes in the trees. And there is Halloween. (I have almost as many Halloween decorations as I do Christmas ones - can't seem to resist them and you find them everywhere.) And here in Kentucky people decorate their front yards with scarecrows and straw bales etc. Quite the thing. Yes, fall is the best.

So I'm excited about the weather change. I hope we can get out a bit more. I'll share pictures if we can! This part of the country is beautiful in the fall.

In the meantime - our pumpkins are starting to get their own fall color! (We sure have had our share of entertainment value out of 4 seed packets!)

1 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, an orange pumpkin, cool. You've turned out to be quite the farmers! I'm so impressed. So, now how is the timing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter