Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Cookies

I don't know when I started with the marathon Christmas Cookie Baking habit but it was certainly years ago. I have a sweet tooth that won't quit, but that isn't even the reason I do it. I just love to make them, and to have them around, and to give them to people. (All of which was fine when I was in Alaska and had a bunch of people to give them TO. Not so much here...)

But the whole process of pouring over the recipe collection, looking in magazines for new possibilities, and then ending up deciding, as I do every year, on the same 8 or 9 varieties that I just can't have Christmas without, is as much a part of Christmas for me as the tree. I line up all the ingredients on the counter (and I hate messy countertops - just to give you an idea of how far this obsession has gone!) and I go from one batch to another to another, the whole point being to have them all done and fresh and beautiful at the same time. Then you can put together a really pretty cookie tray. And have a lot of choices. (Yes, I know that is probably not sufficient rationalization, but it's all I've got.) I just like to have them.

I did add 'Butterscotch Cream Bells' from a magazine some years ago, and last year tried 'Coconut Cranberry Chews' which were a real hit (and festive looking besides.) But the cut-out cookies are my favorite, probably from the sentimental value of years of help from Todd in cutting and decorating. To this day I am less interested in getting a 'beautifully decorated' cookie than in just the process of making them.

One year, when Todd was little, we were headed to Tucson from Alaska for Christmas. On our overnight delay in Seattle Todd was a little droopy and finally held up one finger and pointed to a small round pox that had appeared on it and asked 'what is this?' Chicken pox, of course. We were halfway there and decided to just go on rather than back home, and we spent a quiet several days at my mother's house while he developed more and more spots. We used those days to bake Christmas Cookies, of course. And to help him with the itching, we 'decorated' him with corn starch (does that sound right?) while we were decorating the cut-out cookies with colored sugar. There is nothing quite like hearing little ones giggle and laugh when you know they are sick. (I guess my brother's kids all came down with chicken pox then too? And my brother as well, if I remember right. Sorry!!!)

Anyway, I know that if Todd were here he would still help me make cookies. And I know Mark will appreciate them as much as I will. And I hope his new work team will put up with them too because this year I have no one else to pawn them off on!

Hope you are enjoying your Christmas preparations as well!

6 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks a LOT for bringing Typhoid Mary (AKA Todd) around to infect us all. :) Actually, I'm glad we got it when we were young. I think my dad had a much rougher time of it than the rest of us. Especially Carolyn who managed to suffer from only one chicken pock behind her ear.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... Only one pox for me... I still gloat about that one.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really got sick with the Chicken Pox. But, I guess I was bound to get them sometime, and getting them at age 30 was probably better than getting them from some future grandchild in my fifties. So, thanks!!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

Who doesn't love cookies?? 'Coconut Cranberry Chews' sound divine. Hmmm....now I want to bake. See what you did?!?

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Carolyn's single pox was at a different time, though--maybe her in-utero exposure from Todd giving it to the rest of us made her semi-immune?

My real reason for leaving a comment is to inquire after that cranberry cookie recipe--those were amazing!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I can't post the recipe on the blog (copywrite issues) but will email it to Janet! Glad you liked them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter