Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Not paying attention

I know that I can get in my own little world a lot of the time, and not pay attention to the little things that eventually will become big things. But yesterday at the grocery store I was trying to buy those little things that are needed to bake Christmas cookies and reached for the Vanilla Extract. A single bottle of real vanilla cost $29!!!

How could that be? As far as I know it isn't a petroleum product. It isn't connected to the housing market except in the loosest possible sense. $29?

How many teaspoons are in a bottle of vanilla?

What is happening to our economy? I come away from the store with basically the same basket of groceries that 5 years ago cost me $100 and now costs almost $300 - even with the fake vanilla, not the real stuff, in my cart. Are we not supposed to notice? Every day there are stories in the news about economic indicators - up and down and sideways and so convoluted that there can't possibly be any conclusion about the data in any acceptable scientific way of looking at data. But we continue to get positive reports about how we are ticking along just fine. Good grief.

We are not 'fine.' We're not 'fine' at all.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What size was that bottle?!! My store has real vanilla for $4.99. Oh well.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Yikes! I think there are generally two sizes, and I was looking at the larger one. Maybe there is hope? I'll look again at another store!

This is a bad sign - hallucinating?

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next time you come to Tucson you need to take a trip to Nogales and buy a quart of Mexican vanilla. It's a lot cheaper. Can't vouch for the quality though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter