Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

It's hard for me to get sentimental about a "Hallmark" holiday like Mother's Day. But it's very easy for me to get sentimental about mothers and mother/child relationships. Puts me in a bit of a fix.

I adore my mother. I've made enough comments about her here and there that I know that it shows. She just sparkles with humor, is one of the best strategic thinkers I know, and always has an encouraging word when needed. She is one of my favorite people to be around - and I think that says a lot about our relationship. I know I'm fortunate. Mother/Daughter things can be fraught with a lifetime's worth of baggage, but we just don't have any of that. Amazing that she could have built it all that way.

My son, my own 'mother credential' as it were, is an incredible young man and I actually try to take credit for some of that, giving another dimension to the whole issue. (And he writes the nicest Mother's Day Card notes...)

And my husband's mother is one of the very best too - fun to be with, upbeat and positive, an amazing woman. All in all, we've done pretty well in the 'mother' department.

But here it is, Mother's Day, and I spent it yet again apart from my mother and from my son. Alas.

So to all the mothers - and sons and daughters that make them that way - a very sentimental Happy Mother's Day to you!

3 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Cathy!

Carolyn, Brent, Brandon and Hannah

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent Mother's Day away too! Not only that, I was sick all day to boot! ( More on that later ) At least Kathy got to spend Mother's day with her mother for the first time in umpteen years, so it wasn't a total write off.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. The previous comment was written from a bed and breakfast in Philadelphia. (Less than a week after Mother's Day.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter