Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Spell Checking

One little piece of information that stuck with me from my years of working with, shall we say, 'developing' writers (high school students) is this: If you are a really bad speller, a word processing program's spellchecker is not your friend.

I was reminded of that when I ran a check on yesterday's blog posting that included the word 'carpooling.' Blogger's spellchecker flagged that as misspelled and suggested changing it to "corpulence." Not really where I was going with my sentence at all.

It also wanted to change 'spellchecker' to 'splices', 'blog' to 'bloc' and, when I purposely misspelled 'sentance,' gave me back a suggestion that the word I wanted might be 'cantankerous.' Really.

I may have discovered a new parlor game.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week (just before leaving on vacation) I was finishing up a cost estimate for a room addition. The customer has "Tectum" decking on his house and had found a source for it. I made a note in my estimate that he was to supply the "Tectum" decking (a 2" thick ridged fiber material for the roof) and the spellcheck on my estimating program suggested that I change that word to "rectum". I hit "ignore"!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter