Thursday, October 12, 2006

Government and Trust

An odd thing happened yesterday. I got a notice that a comment was made on my blog (they come through email) but the comment didn't relate to any of my recent postings. So I went back through my archives to see where it fit. I finally found it attached to the October 1, 2005 posting about security at Disney World. I'm not sure how someone found that! That would have been a lot of reading to do... through all those postings... Hopefully it was just an odd 'search' result. (This whole thing continues to amaze me.)

But anyway, the crux of the comment was this:

"I find it interesting that people feel so threatened by a measure of security taken in order to protect their safety and their belongings."

I find it interesting my own self (one of Mark's expressions that has obviously wormed its way into my speech too) that this person can be so trusting of her government, so ignorant of the fact that this government is run by politicians and bureaucrats whose names show up in the news every day in connection with one scandal after another (always related to their exercising of very poor judgement,) so unconcerned when government says "it's for your own protection," so blissfully unaware of any past instances of power corrupting motives or of legislation resulting in unforseen consequences, and so totally focused on her present fears that she can't see ahead to future consequences.

The only thing we really seem to learn from studying History is that we just don't learn from studying History.


As my dad would say, "Good grief."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter