Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Elevator talk

I ran across an article today about a woman who is celebrating 30 years as an elevator operator in the Space Needle in Seattle. I can’t imagine doing much of anything for 30 years – perhaps my marital record would attest to that – and certainly operating an elevator wouldn’t be the thing to stick with me for 30 days, much less 30 years. But this woman obviously loved her job and had a sense of humor about it; and the article had a few irresistibly bright spots.

So, from Kery Murakami, at the Seattle Post Intellegencer, quoting Jenny Dibley, there is this:

“On windy days, ‘when the doors opened, it was like the Marilyn Monroe-thing where my skirt would flare open.’

The dress kept getting stuck in the elevator doors, so Dibley would yank it out. Except for one time.

‘We started going down; my skirt just went up and up. I actually got lifted off the ground and I was hanging from my armpits,’ she said. ‘Everybody was quiet. And it's really true what your mother says about wearing clean underwear.’ “

2 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I have to add my own comment here - evidently Bob Barker has been doing "The Price is Right" for 30 years too - he is retiring. Amazing. I don't know which is worse. And speaking of sticking to things for a long time - the factory that makes Florida's pink flamingos is finally closing after 49 years. There is much to be said for longevity, but this is probably not it.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She should switch to wearing pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter