Monday, August 29, 2005

Futzing

I’m a “futzer,” evidently; one of those people who endlessly tweak their computer work. My husband hates the ‘type.’ But there you have it. I have met the idiot and it is me, so to speak.

I woke up this morning wondering why I hadn’t widened the format of my website document – it was very narrow on the screen because that’s the way my software had it configured; this after obsessing for the last two days on this project that is actually pointless in the first place. So I woke up thinking that I could just go into “page setup” and change that – and sure enough – with one click it was wider. Of course that meant all the formatting was off… And I noticed some of the pictures were too dark...

I’ve re-sized, re-positioned, added hyperlinks, and taken away extra text not needed because of the added hyperlinks. Twice I had to go to “tech help” and have an online “chat” in a “virtual chat room” with a technician (Cathy enters the room. Paul enters the room. How can I help you? says Paul, “virtually” so to speak, in this virtual room.) Very weird. I uploaded, got error messages, tried again, renamed files, replaced files, deleted pictures because I had once again exceeded the size limits, had excellent help from Mark, more excellent help from MJ (to reduce picture size!) added more pictures again, and finally got things working. Generally I'm happy with it. For now.

Until I look again and see something else that could be “improved.” I wonder if there is a cure for futzing? Maybe a good book.

What do other people do with their time?

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

I'm a futzer as well...I think we all do it in some aspect of our lives. Some of us do it with our code or computer project, some of us in our garden, some of us in the kitchen or with our writing. We just have to find our own "futziness". haha. I crack myself up.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger John said...

I futz, even when I'm at work...which probably isn't the most productive way to spend my time, but I'm happier with the end product.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter