Wednesday, September 14, 2005

... and, Internet Wonders II

Yesterday I was trying to find a particular website and mistyped the URL with apalling results! I won't finish that explanation. Suffice it to say that I will be working on my typing from now on.

And that reminded me of an unfortunate Google search I did one time. We used to watch the cooking show “Two Fat Ladies.” It featured a couple of rather large and decidedly middle-aged British ladies who always cooked with “lots of lovely butter.” Maybe others remember their show – one of them drove a motorcycle and the other one rode in the sidecar? Most of what they made didn’t actually sound edible but the show was quite entertaining. And I tried to look it up on the internet once.

Now all my readers probably know – but I’ll elaborate anyway – that an internet search engine looks for combinations of the words you enter – hence Two, Fat, and Ladies are all seen as separate entries, rather than as the one continuous TV show title I was looking for. Websites that include all three words are presented first. That said, you probably know where I’m going with this…

The term ‘ladies’ does have an unfortunate connotation in some circles. Add ‘fat’ to your Google search and you’ve gone in a direction you probably didn’t want to go. And, of course, the addition of ‘two’ brings up a whole new genre. Dear me.


(Don't try this at home.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter