Sunday, September 11, 2005

Painting and Planning

Yes, I finally got back to the paint project – though not without Further Developments. I thought I could paint around the trim and ceiling without taping them off, which I didn’t want to do because I always have ‘bleeding’ under the tape. But it didn’t take long to see that ‘freehand’ wasn’t going to work. I only relate this part of the story because it meant that I had already started to paint before I realized that I couldn’t get the ladder close to the wall on the toilet side of the little room, meaning that there was no way for me to reach the top part of the wall on that half. Good grief. Remember now, I’d already painted the other half… I thought I was going to have to hire a 7 foot tall painter.

So, I know what you’re going to say. That “Cathy without a plan” should have Planned Ahead! Anticipated. Thought it all out before diving in. And you’re right. I fell down on the job there. I’m embarrassed.

But this blog is all about Plan Development (well, I do stray a bit…) and I am able, as a result of this almost-a-mess project, to add a couple of rules to the mix. Number One is obvious – work out the details of your Plan before you are committed to something that May Not Work! And Number Two, learn your own problem solving process and respect it. Mine seems to be to panic first, call someone for moral support next and then brainstorm solutions after the panic has passed.


Well, maybe panic isn't the right word. Maybe it is more like a compulsion to 'confess' – when I've done something truly stupid and therefore have something to laugh with someone about – than actual panic in these situations.

But the result is the same – share the laugh first, then try to solve the problem.

It's a good strategy. And planning is all about strategy. (Results would be good eventually too, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.)

Mostly I learned that having Remodeling figure prominently in any real Plan is probably not going to work for me. Disappointing, that is. I really thought it might. But clearly I don't have the knack.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The color looks great!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

You didn't need a 7 foot tall painter...you needed gorilla arms.

Color is fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter