Sunday, October 30, 2005

Daylight Savings Time

It always seemed an odd concept to me - Saving Daylight by changing the clocks. In Arizona, many years ago, they tried it once and have never done it again. Growing up in Arizona, I always thought it was an alien notion and disregarded it. And now, even though I've lived in places for almost 25 years where Daylight Savings Time happens without question every year, it always puzzles me. I'm never sure when it is supposed to be - a sure sign that I'm just not invested in the question. It's just too weird. I always have to call my mother - who lives in Arizona - to find out when it is supposed to happen.

Then this year there was a lot of legislative discussion in the national arena about staying on it for some extra period of time, and I thought that had passed - another sure sign that I'm not really paying attention to this 'issue.' Once again, I really wasn't expecting the time change this weekend.

(My computer used to tell me when it had adjusted the time, but it doesn't even do that anymore - just makes the change without notice. There's something sinister about that too.)

So here I am with an extra hour on my hands that seems like it ought to be put to good use. Mark is putting HIS hour to good use - he rolled over and went back to sleep. But I couldn't do that (since I have this 'cat' problem, as I've discussed before - they are too heavy and too hot and I can't really sleep well with 2 cats on top of me, purring their little tails off) so here I am, wishing there was something really great to do for an extra hour.

I could create more pumpkin carving patterns - we have 26 pumpkins to carve today, after all.

Or I could call someone I don't usually get to talk to for an hour.

I could practice playing Moonlight Sonata and try to keep the tempo even (no - never happens...)

Go for a long walk? Maybe.

It should be something really special...

Actually, Mark says it isn't really an extra hour - we are just getting back the one they took away 6 months ago. I'm bummed. I guess I've already used mine.

1 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger M.J. said...

FYI, the legislation did pass...but it doesn't go into affect until 2006 (I think, don't hold me to that!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter