Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Time

I think I had this day yesterday. It rained then - it is raining now. I futzed with my website then, and I am futzing with it now. (Just reloaded it for about the 15th time!) The cats are sleeping nearby, just as yesterday. The news is full of Hurricane Katrina, and that's a repeat too.

I spent all day last Saturday thinking it was Sunday. I am caught in a strange time warp.

There has been endless speculation, scientific and literary, about the nature of time. Jack Finney, in his book, Time and Again, postulated that we could "think" our way into another time, by re-creating that atmosphere and submersing ourselves in it. Scott Adams (Dilbert) offers the theory of infinite parallel universes that we are moving through but in which nothing else actually moves. Albert Einstein carried on about E=MC2 and maybe that means something and maybe it doesn't. 'Time' is weird. Or at least it might be.

My birthday is December 24th and I used to think I should just change it to July 24th and make it more convenient, but there was endless discussion among friends that if I did that it would make me six months older. Why wouldn't that mean I'd be six months younger instead?

Time is an inconsistent constant. It "marches on." Or at least I hope so. I think I had this day yesterday, but I can't be sure. If so, will I be six months younger or just in an alternate universe?

1 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger John said...

you're either in the movie Groundhog Day or downtown Poughkeepsie. Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter