Monday, June 12, 2006

Happy Birthday Todd!

Today is my son's 25th birthday. He is, of course, miles away (traveling to Canada today to give a presentation, actually) and I'm just hating the distance that age has put between us. What a rotten trick it all is - we strive to raise our kids to be responsible, independent, accomplished adults and then they actually turn out that way! And leave us! I know that was my 'intent' but did he have to take it so seriously?

He's been 'launched' since he went off to college at 18. I was so proud then. Still am, of course, but somehow the fact that he'd never really live with us again didn't seem like part of the bargain.

When he was little we used to pour through books of house plans, dreaming of future luxuries, and he would always look first for which would be HIS bedroom. I guess little kids always think they will live with their moms. I had him convinced of that for years, until a friend’s sons went off to college and didn’t take ‘mom’ with them. That’s when he started getting suspicious. That’s when the downhill started. Oh well.

Twenty five years. What an amazing time it’s been.

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Todd!!!!!!!!
call your Mother

Mark

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is the best way to reach Todd for birthday wishes. Happy Day!!! Don't think I have an actual address. Hope you had a great day in spite of having to travel! Love, Aunt Janet

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I actually think that, of all the family, my own son is the least likely to read the blog. What can I say? I'll email him again to let him know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter